How do I allow a student to retake a test or quiz?
If a student has completed all of their available submissions to an assessment, you can allow them to retake it.
Go to Tests & Quizzes.
Select Tests & Quizzes from the tool menu in your site.
Select the Published Copies tab.
Select the Published Copies tab to view assessments that have been released to students in your site.
Go to the assessment submissions.
- Select the Actions menu for the assessment.
- Select Scores.
Alternatively, you may select the number of student submissions, e.g., 3, in the Submitted column to view the submissions.
Select the Submission Status tab.
Under the student's name, select Allow retake.
The list of students will display. Under the name of the student who needs to retake the assessment, select Allow Retake.
- If a student has an incomplete submission with time available on it, they can continue taking the assessment. The instructor will not have the option to Allow Retake for that student.
- Allowing a retake gives the student a new, blank copy of the assessment to take.
Confirm allowing the retake.
The information that displays on the Retake Assessment page depends on the Final Submission Deadline for the assessment or the student, if an exception was made to accommodate a different deadline for that student.
- If the deadline is in the future, select Allow Retake to confirm.
- If the deadline is in the past, you will be warned that the assessment is not available for the student. Select Allow Retake and Go to Settings. After selecting this button, you be taken automatically to the Settings page to add an exception to the availability dates for the student.
View Submission Status.
You will be returned to the Submission Status page, where the student will no longer have the Allow Retake link underneath their name. The student can now retake the assessment.
Note: If you were prompted to Allow Retake and Go to Settings on the Retake Assessment page, you will instead be taken to the Settings page.