How do I add and play a 360° video in Media Gallery?
360° videos, also called immersive, spherical, or virtual reality (VR) videos, are videos where views in multiple directions have been recorded at the same time. When you play a 360° video, you can use a mouse, keyboard, or touch screen to drag the video around and view it from different angles.
This article includes:
Note: 360° videos must be played on their own. A 360° video will not work correctly in a playlist or video quiz.
- To add a 360° video to your personal My Media space, visit your Home site. When you first log into UVACollab, you are placed in your Home site automatically. If you are viewing another UVACollab site, select the Home tab in the favorites bar at the top of the screen, or in your My Sites list, to access it.
- To add a 360° video to the Media Gallery for a particular course or collaboration site, select the site's title in the favorites bar at the top of the screen, or under My Sites.
- From your Home site: Select My Media from the tool menu in your Home site.
- From your course or collaboration site: Select Media Gallery from the tool menu of the site.
If you are adding a 360° video to Media Gallery and any playlists have been created in the site, the Playlists tab will display as the first page. If this is the case, select the Media tab to go to it.
Note: The Media tab will display with the number of files currently included in it, e.g., 4 Media.
Note: On mobile devices or small screens, the Add Media button displays as a plus (+) icon.
- Drag and drop the file to upload into the Upload Media box,
- Or select the Choose a file to upload button. Then, select the file to upload from your computer.
- Depending on the size of your file, the upload may take some time to complete. During this time, the upload progress will display on the screen.
- When the file is successfully uploaded, an Upload Completed! message will replace the progress bar.
- By default, the Name will be the video's or audio file's original file name. It is recommended that you edit the Name to make your file easy to identify in the Media Gallery.
- You can add an optional Description.
- In the Tags field, enter the following text: 360 and select it when it appears in the drop-down menu for tags. The 360 tag is required to make the video play correctly. You may optionally add other tags for searching.
Note: If you have never used the 360 tag on a video before, it will display as 360 (new tag).
- Select Save.
- Select the Go To Media link to go directly to the file you just uploaded, or select Go To Media Gallery to go back to the main page of Media Gallery.
Select the video in My Media or in the Media Gallery's Media tab, if you published it in a Media Gallery.
Above is an example of a 360° video from NASA VR 360 videos (opens new window). You can view the video from different angles while it is being played or paused. Either:
- Use your mouse to click and drag the video around,
- Or use the Tab key on your keyboard to navigate to the video's Play or Pause button, then press the following letter keys: W (to drag the view up), A (to drag the view left), S (to drag the view down), and D (to drag the view right).