How do I create a new Confluence space?
Confluence supports collaborative online work in spaces, repositories for content that can contain associated, collaborative pages.
- Create and manage spaces in UVACollab: Add participants and assign permissions in your Confluence space based on the membership of your associated UVACollab site. This option allows guest (non-UVA) users access to the Confluence space, if they are added to the UVACollab site.
- Create and manage spaces directly in Confluence: This allows you to manage individual user permission settings directly in Confluence. Only UVA participants can access spaces created directly in Confluence. If you wish to grant access to guest users, you will need to create and manage the Confluence space in UVACollab.
Step by step guides are provided here for each option, respectively.
Select Confluence Wiki from the tool menu in your site.
Tip: If you need to add the Confluence Wiki tool to your site, follow the steps in How do I add a tool to my site?
When a site administrator first accesses this tool, a corresponding space will be created in Confluence. Participants will be able to access the space using the tool.
Note: Participants will be unable to access the Confluence space until the site administrator has accessed the Confluence Wiki tool.
Navigate to the ITS instance of Confluence (opens new window).
You will be redirected to the NetBadge login page. Either:
- Use your Digital Certificate to log in by selecting the corresponding Log In button, or
- Enter your UVA computing ID and Password and Log In.
- Select the type of space to be created:
- Blank space (default): Start with a blank space.
- Personal space: Keep your notes, task lists and other content organized.
- Documentation space: Create and manage technical documentation for your products.
- Knowledge base: Capture and share best practices and solutions to common problems.
- Software project space: Create software requirements, capture meeting notes, and track decisions.
- Team space: Collaborate and share resources with your team.
- Select Next.
Note: For details on the other options for creating a space (Personal, Documentation, Knowledge base, Software project, and Team), see the Confluence help article, Create a space from a template (opens new window).
- Insert a short name for your new space in the Space name field.
- Your Space key will be automatically generated based on your space name. You may edit the Space key, though Confluence requires that each Space key is unique.
- Select Create.