How do I use a phone or tablet as a whiteboard in Zoom?
You can make a whiteboard to use in Zoom with the following items:
- A computer (PC or Mac),
- A handheld touch screen device (an Android phone or tablet, or an iPad),
- A stylus that works with your touch screen device (Optional, but recommended if you find it hard to draw with your finger).
Install the Zoom client (opens new window) on your PC or Mac, and/or add the Zoom app to your mobile device.
- On your phone or tablet, open your internet browser and go to the following web address: zoom.us/download
- Download and install the Zoom Client for Meetings on your device.
- On your phone or tablet, in the company domain box, enter virginia in the box (so it displays virginia.zoom.us in the window).
- Select Continue.
On your phone or tablet, you will be redirected to the NetBadge login page. Either:
- Use your Digital Certificate to log in by selecting the corresponding Log In button,
- Or enter your UVA computing ID and Password and Log In.
Once you have logged into the Zoom app on your phone or tablet, select the Meetings tab.
On your phone or tablet, select the Start button for the same meeting you already joined on your computer.
- On your phone or tablet, tap near the bottom of the screen to show the menu with options to Unmute, Start Video, etc., then select the More button.
- Select Disconnect Audio.
- On your phone or tablet, select the Share button.
- Select Share Whiteboard.
On your phone or tablet, a menu of drawing tools will display. Select a drawing tool, e.g., the pencil.
Tip: You can find a description of all the drawing tools in Zoom's help article Using annotation tools on a shared screen or whiteboard (opens new window).
Draw on your touch screen using:
- Your finger,
- Or a stylus.
You can check how your whiteboard displays to your meeting participants on your computer screen.
To save the contents of your whiteboard on your phone or tablet:
- Select the More (...) icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Select Save to Album to save a copy of the image to your photo gallery.
When you are done using the whiteboard on your phone or tablet, select the Close (X) button in the upper left corner of the screen to close the drawing tools and return to the menu with options such as Unmute, Start Video, etc.
On your phone or tablet, select the Stop Share button to exit the whiteboard.
On your phone or tablet:
- Select the Leave link.
- Select Leave Meeting.