How do I release videos to specific site participants in Panopto (Lecture Capture)?
Site Administrators can release videos to specific site participants by adjusting the sharing settings in a folder on Panopto. Instructors can use this feature to share lecture recordings with students who missed class.
Note: The site participants must be able to access the Lecture Capture tool in the site where the video is stored.
It is recommended to create a new folder for the specific site participants to access within your site's Panopto folder. If you have already created a folder for this purpose, skip to the step: Open the folder for select site participants to access.
In order to change who the folder is shared with, you must change this folder's settings to stop inheriting the sharing settings from your site's folder. Select Change next to 2 inherited from [your course title].
- Make sure the Keep 2 members as added users checkbox is still checked.
- Select Stop Inheriting.
Next to the [Site Title]::Viewer role, select the X to remove access to all Students and Waitlisted Students in a course site or Members and Observers in a collaboration site. For example, if your site is titled 21F CIS 1160, you would remove the 21F CIS 1160::Viewer role.
WARNING: Do not remove the [Site Title]::Creator role in the list. This is how Site Administrators maintain access to the folder. For example, if your site is titled 21F CIS 1160, do not remove the 21F CIS 1160::Creator role.
- In the Add People and Groups field, search for site participants by UVA Computing ID or name.
- Select their name from the results dropdown list.
Repeat this process for each site participant you wish to add.
- To the right of the Add People and Groups field, choose the permission level for the users you wish to add to the folder (Viewer or Creator).
- By default, the option to notify the people to whom you are granting access is enabled. If you don't want to send email notification, uncheck the Notify people checkbox.
- If you want to send an email notification and include a personal message, you can enter the message in the box provided.
- Select Send or Save to send a notification (if chosen) and save changes.
Note: In order to view the video(s) in this folder, site participants will need to open the UVACollab site and select Lecture Capture from the tool menu. They will not be able to log in to Panopto through any links in the email notification.
- View and confirm your updated list of people who can access this folder.
- Select the X in the top right corner of the settings window to close the settings.
To upload a video into the folder, follow the steps in Panopto's How to Upload Video Files Using the Create Button (opens new window) help article.
To move an existing video in Panopto to this folder, follow the steps to move the video in Panopto's How to Batch Copy and Move Videos (opens new window) help article.
To record a new video using Panopto Capture, follow the steps in Panopto's How to Create a Video Using Panopto Capture (opens new window) help article.