How do I add a YouTube video to Media Gallery?
You can add a video from YouTube to Media Gallery to take advantage of the features available in the tool. For example, you can view user engagement with the video, create video quizzes, and add more accurate captions to the video.
Note: Review the following limitations of using YouTube videos in Media Gallery.
- Media Gallery only supports public YouTube videos.
- If the video is removed in YouTube, it will no longer play in Media Gallery.
- A viewer cannot change the playback speed of a YouTube video in Media Gallery.
- You cannot create clips of YouTube videos.
- Some special features in YouTube videos, such as annotations, may not display in Media Gallery. Checking that your video plays as expected is recommended.
Go to the site where you will be adding the media.
- To add a YouTube video to your personal My Media space, visit your Home site. When you first log into UVACollab, you are placed in your Home site automatically. If you are viewing another UVACollab site, select the Home tab in the favorites bar at the top of the screen, or in your My Sites list, to access it.
- To add a YouTube video to the Media Gallery for a particular course or collaboration site, select the site's title in the favorites bar at the top of the screen, or under My Sites.
Go to My Media or Media Gallery.
- From your Home site: Select My Media from the tool menu in your Home site.
- From your course or collaboration site: Select Media Gallery from the tool menu of the site.
In Media Gallery, access the Media tab.
If you are adding a YouTube video to Media Gallery and any playlists have been created in the site, the Playlists tab will display as the first page. If this is the case, select the Media tab to go to it.
Note: The Media tab will display with the number of files currently included in it, e.g., 4 Media.
Select + Add Media.
Note: On mobile devices or small screens, the Add Media button displays as a plus (+) icon.
Select Add New, then YouTube.
On the Add Media page:
- Select Add New.
- Select YouTube.
Enter a YouTube video page link.
Copy the web address of the YouTube video and paste it into the Video Page Link (or Content ID) field.
Note: Media Gallery only supports public YouTube videos. Private videos cannot be added.
Preview the video.
Select Preview to view a preview of the YouTube video.
Fill out details and save.
- By default, the Name will be the video's original name from YouTube. It is recommended that you review and edit the Name to make your file easy to identify in the Media Gallery.
- You can add or edit an optional Description or Tags for searching. If the video had a description on YouTube, that description may appear automatically.
- Select Save.
- After you save the video, two messages should appear stating your changes have been saved and when your media is successfully published.
- Select the Go To Media link to go directly to the video you just added from YouTube.
- Select Go To Media Gallery to go back to the main page of Media Gallery.
View the video.
Once your video has been published, it will be available in the Media Gallery's Media tab, and you can select it to view it.
- To add more accurate captions to the video, see How do I automatically generate and edit captions in My Media?
- To create a video quiz, see How do I create a video quiz?
- To view user engagement, see How do I access video analytics in Media Gallery?