How do I convert a document using SensusAccess?
You can use SensusAccess to convert documents with textual content from Resources into alternative formats.
For example, if you use assistive technology like high magnification, text-to-speech software, or a screen reader, you may use SensusAccess to convert an unreadable image of text or an inaccessible PDF into a Word file or accessible PDF. You may also use SensusAccess to convert text documents into audio files so you can listen to them on the go, such as when you are driving or exercising.
Tip: Conversion results are best for documents that are primarily text and comply with accessibility standards (i.e., proper use of headings and formatting). However, good results are also possible in multilingual documents and those with complicated elements.
Documents less suited for conversion are those with non-textual content (e.g., complex graphs and mathematical equations). Additional information is available on the SensusAccess resources page (opens new window).
- Open the File selection menu.
- Select the file to convert.
Note: Only files that have been made visible to you in the site's Resources will be available to select.
You will be presented with a list of Requested conversion options. Available options depend on the type of file you selected to convert and may include:
- Accessibility conversion: Convert a document to a more accessible file format, e.g., a PDF into a Word document.
- E-book: Convert a document to ePUB or MOBI (Kindle) format.
- MP3: Convert a document to an audio file.
- Braille: Convert a document to digital braille.
Select the desired type of conversion.
Additional Conversion parameters will display for you to select.
Pictured above is an example where Accessibility conversion has been selected for an inaccessible PDF file. Under Conversion parameters, there is a menu to specify the Target format for the converted file, such as doc - Microsoft Word or pdf - Tagged PDF.
Other conversion types include parameters such as the Language of the file, e.g., American English, the Base font size (for E-books), and the reading Speed (for MP3 audio files).
Select the desired Delivery method for the converted file:
- Campus email: Receive an email with a link to download the file.
- Download: Save the file to your computer.
Tip: The conversion process takes some time to complete, so the Campus email option is recommended.
- If you selected the Campus email delivery option, a message will display indicating that your file has been submitted for conversion. Details of the file, such as the file name, type, and target format will also be shown.
- Return to the main page of SensusAccess by selecting the SensusAccess link near the top of the page to refresh the tool.
An email with a link to download the converted file will be delivered to the address associated with your UVACollab account. The message subject will include SensusAccess: Result and the file name, e.g., SensusAccess: Result of the Accessibility Conversion of Grace-AspectsofFatherhood.pdf (the exact subject depends on the options you selected in the SensusAccess tool).
Go to the link included in the email to access the resulting file.