How do I create a syllabus item?
Instructors can create a syllabus for site participants to view in the Syllabus tool. This article will explain how an instructor can create an interactive, web-based syllabus using the Rich-Text Editor.
You can find more information about creating other types of syllabus items in the articles below:
- Enter a title for the syllabus item into the Title field.
- If desired, enter any additional text or other content into the Content field.
- Select the audience for the syllabus item.
- Selecting the World Readable option will make the syllabus item's content and attachments visible to anyone via the Class Details page in the Student Information System (SIS).
- Selecting the UVa Only option will make the syllabus item's content visible to anyone via the Class Details page, but any attachments will not be accessible from SIS.
- Selecting the Site Participants Only option will make the content and attachments associated the syllabus items restricted to participants of the site.
- Choose a notification option.
- By default, students are not notified each time a syllabus item is created or edited.
- To send a higher priority notification, select High from the Email Notification dropdown menu. This notification will be sent to all site participants.
- To send a lower priority notification, select Low from the Email Notification dropdown menu. This notification will not be sent to students who have opted out of low priority notifications.
- Select Add and Publish.
Note: After entering text or other content into the editor in UVACollab, we recommend using the Accessibility Checker to confirm that the content is fully accessible to all site participants. See How do I check my content for accessibility? for more information on the Accessibility Checker and instructions for checking content.
After the syllabus is published, site participants will see the syllabus item and its contents in the Syllabus tool.
To edit a syllabus item, select the pencil (Edit) icon to the right of the syllabus title.
To display and allow access to the syllabus item and the file attachment during a selected period of time, choose a Start Date and End Date by selecting the Calendar icons to the right of each field.