How do I read, post, or delete chat messages?
When you access the Chat tool, you will enter the default room (as specified by a site administrator).
- To change rooms, select Change Room, then select the room to enter.
- To hide or display the date or time messages were posted, select the appropriate option from the View drop-down list:
- Time Only,
- Date and Time,
- Date Only,
- Neither Date nor Time,
- ID Only.
- If you have permission to change how many messages you see, you may select one of the following options from the View messages from... drop-down list:
- Last 1000 messages,
- Last 10 messages,
- Past 3 days,
- Show no message history. If you choose Show no message history, you will see only messages posted after you made this selection.
- Messages appear in chronological order, with the most recent at the bottom. Messages will always identify the sender.
- To see who is presently in the room, look under Users in Chat on the right side of the screen.
Note: A site administrator can select a different number of messages or days to display, up to a maximum of 1000 messages. If the number of messages or days have been changed for a specific chat room, options with numbers other than Last 10 messages or Past 3 days may be available.
- In the Enter chat message box, type your message.
- Hit Enter (on a keyboard) or select the Add message button to post the message.
- To discard a message that you have not sent yet, select Clear.
To delete a Chat message, select the trash can (Delete this message) icon next to the posting.
Note: If a trash can (Delete this message) icon is not available for a message, you do not have permission to delete it.