How do I create a link to a syllabus item in SIS?
By default, most syllabus items are only available to the participants in the site in which they appear. However, syllabus items in course sites may be configured to be accessible from the Class Details page in the Student Information System (SIS), allowing faculty and students to view course information without joining the course site.
In order for syllabus items to be visible in SIS, the course site in which the syllabus items appear must include a course roster. For more information on adding course rosters to sites, see How do I add a class roster?
The system will display any syllabus items that have been created. By default, course sites created using a template automatically include two syllabus items: Full Syllabus and Course Description (for SIS).
To edit a syllabus item, select the pencil (Edit) icon to the right of the title.
To create a new syllabus item and set its access settings, see How do I create a syllabus item?
The system will display a list of item settings. By default, the content and attachments associated with most syllabus items are restricted to site participants only.
- Select the World Readable button to make the syllabus item's content and attachments visible to anyone via the Class Details page in the Student Information System (SIS).
- Select the UVa Only button to make the syllabus item's content visible to anyone via the Class Details page, but any attachments will not be accessible from SIS.
- Select Add and Publish at the bottom of the page to publish your changes.
Once the access settings for the syllabus item have been published, a link to its content and attachments will appear as Syllabus under Additional Links in the listing for the course in SIS (opens in new window). Select the Syllabus link.
Note: Updates to the access setting for a syllabus item do not affect the contents of the Description field in the listing for the course in SIS. To update the contents of this field, contact the departmental registrar and provide them with the revised description.
After you select the Syllabus link in SIS, the page that loads will display the following:
- The roster associated with the course site
- The name of the course site
- The title of the syllabus item. By default, course sites created using a template automatically include a syllabus item entitled Course Description (for SIS).
- The text and other content entered in the syllabus item
- Links to any attachments added to the syllabus item
Note: Links to attachments will not be accessible from SIS unless the World Readable access setting is selected for the syllabus item.